7.07.2010

THE LOOKING GLASS / HIPGNOSIS


I was inspired by Lauren Taylor over at Art for Doe to do two things. First, to whip up this Looking Glass album cover for fun based on a photograph by Bekah Cope. I'll jump on any opportunity to play around with anything in this style and feel like I could stay up all night doing it sometimes. Lauren, an amazing artist in her own right, will be designing a cover for this Nashville band soon, so look out for that... I'm sure it will be more interesting and original than my blatant homage to LP cover art of the 70's...

Many of those album covers were created by Hipgnosis, a British design group I was also recently reminded to post about. Beginning with Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets in 1968, they created over 100 iconic covers for their time, among these no less than what might be my favorite album cover ever: Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy. Here are a few more great ones from Hipgnosis; there's also a great new book out there called For the Love of Vinyl covering their entire body of artwork that I'd love to add to my shelf...










No comments: