12.28.2010

TOP 10 OF 2010: A Prelude



2010: the Year of the Ghost Monkey. I made this poster for UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Palme D'Or winning Thai film that has US distribution from Strand Releasing in 2011, because I thought that the existing international posters (surveyed nicely by Adrian Curry in this Movie Poster of the Week column), while all interesting in different ways, didn't really tap into the actual look and tone of the film. This image, used in the other posters too, is without a doubt one of the most already-iconic film images in recent memory, but I wanted to see what it would look like in a darker, less saturated treatment that still has a graphic element and embraces the complex details of the image. Strand Releasing, if you're listening, I think something like this would be aces for the US arthouse crowd, and Mondo if you're listening, this could also make for a killer glow-in-the-dark screenprint. :)

This post informally begins the rollout of my year-end project in which I have attempted to create ten off-the-cuff poster designs for my favorite films of the year. Most listmakers have been giving BOONMEE 2011 status, as it was only screened in the US at festivals this year, so my top ten project will begin officially with my next post... if I finish it! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic stuff! I hope someone from Mondo is reading this.

mythopolis said...

This is a cool composition. It is spooky, but spooky is good, ....reminds us that, while we think we are rational, we are actually quite haunted.