4.22.2011

1000 POLISH BOOK COVERS


Just when I thought I had seen it all at the outer limits of the Polish poster, I discover Polish book covers. Fans of Polish art and design have until now relied on fantastic posts at sites like 50 Watts to get their fix. I'm now aware that many of them can be found in a hardback book, curated by Aleksandra and Daniel Mizieliński and entitled One Thousand Polish Book Covers, which seems to be the definitive tome on this incredibly deep and diverse visual world.

For fun, and in celebration of this book's existence, 50 Watts has announced their contest to design a Polish-style cover for your favorite book, with a $400 cash prize. I plan on entering as a fun exercise, and if you're an artist or illustrator, you should too, as its not very hard to get inspired when looking at this stuff.

Here are some of my favorites introduced to me by 50 Watts - all of these images come courtesy of Will Schofield and his valliant work on that blog, so please check out his other posts here and here to see many more. And if Polish childrens books are your thing, feast your eyes on the Mizieliński's mind-blowing personal collection, chronicled on this blog.













2 comments:

mythopolis said...

I think it would be cool to do one on Ficciones of Borge!

Sam's Myth said...

I was leaning in that direction already... ("Labyrinths" would make an even better cover)... You should make one... aren't these great?